Questions to ask a repair/rebuilding contractor
Tips from a home builder’s trade association.
Questions to ask:
- Will I get a detailed, line-item estimate and schedule?
- Will I get full-time supervision? Who?
- Who handles permits?
- Who helps me select materials and finishes?
- Do you have a contractor’s license?
- Do you have a business license?
- Do you have Worker’s Compensation insurance?
- How much General Liability insurance do you have?
- How many jobs do you do at one time?
- What experience do you have with similar work?
- Do you have references? (contact both business and client references)
- What type of contract do you use?
- Have you worked with the designer before?
- Have you worked in our City/neighborhood?
- Who is my emergency contact? How available are they?
- Will we have weekly site meetings?
- How will you protect my property?
- How often do you bill us?
- How do you keep track of change orders?
- How often do you update the schedule?
- Where will materials and tools be stored? How about toilet facilities? Phone?