Top insurance cop?

Every state has a top insurance cop (regulator) whose job includes protecting consumers and making sure the insurance companies doing business in their state are financially strong enough to pay claims. Each has his/her own view on what “protecting consumers” means and how far they will go to police insurance sales and claims practices. Regulators generally won’t/can’t “adjudicate” disputes, but they can issue fines and orders. Most have websites, toll-free “hotlines” and consumer complaint handling units.

In the State by State Assistance section of our website, you’ll find a link to your state’s top insurance cop, plus self-help claim tips and tips on hiring professional help.

Bottom line: If you have a problem related to insurance, file a formal complaint and seek help from the public official in charge. But don’t expect a state insurance regulator’s office to resolve a large dollar coverage/claim dispute in your favor or give you the same level of service you’ll get from an experienced policyholder attorney or public adjuster.

You’ll find useful tips on How to Communicate With Your Insurance Company, Hiring Professional Help, and much more at United Policyholders.

Please donate to support our Advocacy and Action Program through which we fight to strengthen and defend policyholders’ rights.

The information presented in this publication is for general informational purposes and is not a substitute for legal advice. If you have a specific legal issue or problem, United Policyholders recommends that you consult with an attorney. Guidance on hiring professional help can be found in the “Find Help” section of United Policyholders does not sell insurance or certify, endorse or warrant any of the insurance products, vendors, or professionals identified on our website.

Date: May 24, 2024