Canceled by Guard insurance Mark Aussieker asked 6 months ago
Canceled by Guard insurance

My insurance company is leaving the state (California). I am in a high fire risk area. Many of my neighbors have also been cancelled. I was paying about $2300 a year, and will be forced to pay over $5k a year on “fair plan”.

Is there anything I can do?

1 Answers
Canceled by Guard Insurance United Policyholders Staff answered 4 weeks ago

Dear Mark,

Thank you for reaching out to United Policyholders. We apologize for the delay in responding  to your message. We are sorry to hear you have been dropped by your insurer. In California they must give you 75 days advance notice that they are planning to “non-renew” your policy.  Make sure you receive written notice within this timeframe.  If not, you can file a complaint with the Department of Insurance to give you more time to find replacement coverage. 

Your insurer must also state the reason you are being non-renewed.  We recommend you reach out to them and ask if there are any steps you can take to qualify you for a renewal.  You can also reach out to your local fire department to see if they will do an inspection certifying that you have taken all steps to mitigate risk.  

It is important to start shopping immediately to find replacement coverage.  Here are a few resources to get started:  

  1. Dropped by Your Insurer, Where to go for help 
  2. The lowdown from UP on the CA Fair Plan 
  3. Bach Talk California Home Insurance Update


United Policyholders