First off, thanks so much for providing guidance on these topics!
I had a slab leak in my condo about 3 months ago now. The company my insurance hired to coordinate the abatement process miscommunicated to their contractors, and they had to re-do the abatement process 3 times before they finally removed all affected walls and floors in my condo. This of course delayed the process by 2 months. Meanwhile, the housing company my insurance connected me with, put me in a very expensive hotel–exhausting my ALE coverage in only 30 days. Around day 15 when I noticed my money would run out before repairs would be done, I asked to switch to a cheaper option. That was denied by my insurance for some reason.
I then had to move back into my house, with no useable kitchen, appliances, nails still sticking out of the ripped out floor, etc. (Basically I can just sleep here and that’s it.) My insurer told me my ALE coverage ran out and there is nothing they can do now. The company that coordinated the abatement, is also coordinating my repairs are moving at a snail’s pace. Even with me calling almost everyday to check on what can be done. I’ve been told it can and likely will take another 2-3 months for repairs to be done because of delay in materials, custom cabinets that need to be replaced, etc.
I’ve communicated this to my insurance and asked multiple times if I can extend my ALE coverage because of this unusual circumstance, or if they can move money from another part of my insurance coverage, so I can at least cook in a kitchen and live (somewhat similar) to how I was before the slab leak. But they are super strict, and deny me every time I ask.
Is there anything else I can ask for or do in this situation? Or am I stuck living in a gutted condo with all of my appliances in some storage facility I am not even allowed in?
Thanks so much!!