When home insurance policies fail to deliver funds to cover loss recovery, people suffer. Neighborhoods decline, government programs are strained, and the private insurance system fails.
Through the RISC initiative, we are working to restore essential protections in home insurance policies. Our partners include the Voices of Policyholders project and stakeholders throughout the United States who share our objectives.
The RISC Initiative
- Document the erosion of coverage through policy wording that defeats policyholders’ reasonable expectations.
- Educate policymakers, the media and the public about the economic harm that results from unexpected coverage gaps.
- Advance solutions via regulatory, legislative and consumer education Initiatives.
- Identify the most common and harmful wording that is causing protection gaps.
- Create a bank of sample wording across all major insurers by inviting submissions of insurance policies to Policies@uphelp.org
- Determine the origin and history of harmful wording.
- Document findings and recommendations
- Communicate findings and recommendations to policymakers, educate consumers
- Challenging times in the CA property insurance marketplace, CPCU Society, April 2023
- Mind the Gaps – Removing Barriers to Adequate Insurance Panel, NAIC International Insurance Panel, May 2023
- Insurance Regulatory Examiners Society, August 2021
- First Party Claims Conference, October 2021
- National Association of Insurance Commissioners, August 2019
Inquiries: email RISC@uphelp.org
Please Donate to support this project!