2022 Hurricane Nicole – Insurance Claim and Recovery Help

If your home or business has been damaged or destroyed by Hurricane Nicole, United Policyholders’ Roadmap to Recovery® program will help guide you in valuing and documenting your loss, understanding insurance rules, settling your insurance claims fairly, and finding qualified professional, charitable, and government help. United Policyholders is non-profit and has 31 years of experience helping individuals and communities hit by disasters.  We’re rooting for you and here to help.  No strings attached.

Check if Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has made an individual assistance declaration in your area. If so, disaster assistance may be able to fill insurance gaps or provide help if you’ve been waiting more than 30 days on a homeowner’s claim.  You can register here:  www.disasterassistance.gov.

The Red Cross is providing financial assistance to people whose homes were confirmed to have been destroyed or sustained major structural damage from Hurricane Ian in September 2022. To learn more about eligibility and fill out an application, click here.

If your rental, home or business was insured for flood damage, there are some differences in how a flood versus a home insurance claim gets adjusted and settled, but many similarities. Wind damage will be covered under your homeowner’s policy, while flood damage caused by storm surge should be covered under your flood policy.


Key Tips

  • Take photos of the damage BEFORE clean-up, disposal or repairs.  Photo document all damage.  Start a list so you can get realistic estimates of  costs to repair or replace your property.
  • Keep a daily journal where you jot down contact info and notes on conversations with insurance, repair, government, and other professionals.
  • Focus on drying/cleaning out, avoiding further damage, while getting all damage inspected, measured, and estimated by qualified, reputable, and independent experts.
  • Flood insurance policies have different rules than home insurance policies.
  • Start working on a detailed and itemized “proof of loss” form but don’t rush and leave things out.
  • Give your home and/or flood insurer a chance to do the right thing, but advocate for yourself and be prepared to get help if you’re not being treated fairly.
  • Free government help is available through the Division of Consumers Services,  FEMA and the National Flood Insurance Program. Florida also has an Office of Insurance Regulation, but consumer requests for assistance are handled by DFS.  NOTE:  DFS and the NFIP are under-staffed and overwhelmed, so get educatedspeak UP” and do your best to resolve problems directly with your insurer before you contact them for help.
  • Professional help with your individual claim is available through experienced, licensed public adjusters and attorneys and estimators that support and volunteer with United Policyholders.
  • You may have damage that’s covered by both your homeowners and flood policies. Please visit our State-by-State library and select your state to find additional resources.
  • If a home or flood insurance adjuster says damage isn’t covered, but you feel it should be, get an independent professional opinion before giving up on getting some or all of your claim paid.
  • Speak “UP” (politely push for fair treatment)  If you’re getting the runaround, TELL YOUR STORY!

Check your home and wind policies for special deductibles or coverages related to Hurricane damage. You’ll find lots of information in our library, tips, videos and tools.  Every type of insurance policy contains a deadline for submitting your proof of your loss and claim.  NFIP flood policies usually require a complete proof of loss to be submitted within 60 days of the storm.

If your home is damaged or destroyed, our guidance on insurance, clean up and professional claim, construction and legal services will help you get started on the road to recovery and make good decisions or repairing or rebuilding or replacing your home.