East Coasters and Mexican citizens breathed sighs of relief at Joaquin and Patricia’s relatively moderate impact, but West Coast residents continue to brace for predicted heavy El Niño rains this winter. Recent mudflows stranded hundreds of cars in the Los Angeles area.
- Buy sandbags and consider installing a flood vent if you have a basement.
- Remember that flood damage is excluded from most home and business property insurance policies.
- For info on buying flood insurance, visit our website and Facebook page.
- Keep in mind NFIP policies have a 30 day waiting period between when you purchase coverage and when it kicks in.
- Make sure your home policy covers drain and sewer backup damage.
PLEASE NOTE: UP does not endorse or warrant any product in this tip. Our links are intended for educational purposes only.
To read past Tips of the Month, click here. To suggest a future Tip of the Month, click here to submit your idea. Executive Director Amy Bach presenting at a Roadmap to Recovery flood workshop in Colorado