Our ongoing work helping New Jersey homeowners get fair insurance settlements for Sandy damage includes:
- Distributing sample letters and tips for appealing a claim denial and getting a supplemental claim approved for payment and guiding homeowners and the local aid workers engaged in the long term recovery effort.
- Demanding that the National Flood Insurance Program, (run by FEMA) answer our questions on claim disputes and appeals.
- Providing information and help to New Jersey Senator Robert Menendez and his staff on holding the NFIP accountable.
- Coordinating with other advocates, including private attorneys and the Touro Law Center.
- Serving as a clearinghouse for information related to Sandy recovery and insurance
- Guiding New Jersey renters and homeowners on insuring property going forward.
- Friday, December 4th, 2014 FEMA announced it would reopen 300 closed Sandy claims, evaluate whether they were paid fairly, appoint a Flood Insurance Advocate, and consider claim-handling reforms.
This work would not be possible without the generous support of the Hurricane Sandy New Jersey Relief Fund and our Jersey-based volunteers.